WORD! Chair's Report AGM 2014 is now online
What's in a WORD!...
1. WORD! is a registered voluntary organisation, operating the longest running poetry and spoken word night in the Midlands. It takes place at The Y Theatre, Leicester on the first Tuesday of each month and attracts audiences of between 60 and 120 people.
2. Our regular WORD! night features two halves of open mic. Each half is headlined by a booked act.
3. If you want to perform on the open mic, arrive for 7pm and sign up with the compere in the theatre bar. Please be aware that the list often fills very quickly.
4. The night kicks off at 8pm. The interval’s around 9pm. We’re done by 10.30pm.
5. We're really sorry, we can’t pre-book slots.
6. We love you. We love your work. Your ORIGINAL work...leave the Keats and Hegley for the interval and read your own poetry or spoken word over the mic.
7. Slots are maximum of 3 minutes each, including introductions.
8. WORD! is constituted voluntary group, run entirely on its ticket price. Your ticket price pays for our booked acts - without whom the night would be less of a night. We are firm supporters of poets and poetry and committed to paying booked performers a living wage.
9. For reasons of continuity WORD! is presented by a small and devout band of poet comperes. These are: Lydia Towsey, Tim Sayers and Pam Thompson. Like crops, we work on rotation.
The evening commences at 8pm and consists of an open mic and booked act. In the first half there are 6 open mic slots of 3 mins each, followed by a booked act, performing for 10 minutes. After a 15 minute interval there are 10 slots more. A booked artist of national sometimes international standing closes the evening, performing for around 25 minutes at around 10pm. The evening concludes at or before 10.30pm.